Whether it is because the Libertarian Party has a well-known nominee in the Presidential race in Bob Barr (though not necessarily well-regarded in Libertarian leadership circles), whether it is because the Libertarian base has been fired up due to the successful candidacy of Ron Paul, or whether it is simply due to an increased dissatisfaction among the electorate with government itself, the Libertarian Party has mounted a healthy comeback in the state of Wisconsin in 2008.

In district races for the State Assembly, Libertarian Party candidates will appear on seven ballots (Districts 7, 29, 30, 61, 62, 67, and 91). In 2006, the Party failed to field a single candidate in any of the State’s 99 Assembly races. This year marks the second largest number of Libertarians in the field during the last six election cycles dating back to 1998 (with the 10 candidates in 2002 being the high water mark during that span).

The Libertarians will also field one candidate in the race for the State’s open 18th Senate District after not running a candidate in any of the 17 Senate races in 2006.

Likewise, the Party will run two candidates in U.S. House races – in the 1st and 3rd Districts – after not fielding any candidates in the last election cycle.

Bob Barr will be on the presidential ballot in Wisconsin – seeking to improve upon the record 1.3 percent garnered by Libertarian Edward Clark in the Badger State in the 1980 presidential race.

1. James Madison on September 11, 2008 at 3:36 pm

The cause is the steady leadership of new State Chair Jim Maas.

2. Todd on September 11, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I believe most of it came from the LPWI focusing on doing the basics and doing them consistently. There were actually hundreds of volunteers from the last 4 years working to encourage and support candidates in the LPWI this election cycle.

Give them a call at 1-800-236-9236 xt 3 and learn more. You may even have some answer the phone. Pretty basic, isn’t it? when the phone rings, answer it.

3. Rick Levandowski on October 5, 2008 at 6:45 pm

SO glad Bob Collison is gone!
    I ran on the ticket in ’02 and he didn’t hv a clue.
    Bob Barr is on the ballot and it’s time to stop voting for that “lesser of 2 evils” – – it’s still evil!
    @ least I don’t hv to defend my stance for a stand when my kids are 30 (don’t trust any1 over 30, remember?).
    Read the Constitution.