During a Saturday afternoon interview on WWTC 1280 AM with The Northern Alliance’s John Hinderaker and Brian Ward, Minnesota Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann discussed her staunch opposition to several Democratic-led efforts on Capitol Hill this session – such as the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the recently passed HR 1586 tax on bonuses for TARP recipients, and President Barack Obama’s cap-and-trade energy plan to reduce greenhouse gases.

Bachmann then began to talk about her role as Representative at the nation’s Capitol. Explaining the resources available at her U.S. House website which enable her to communicate what is happening in D.C. to the public, such as her Bachmann Bulletin, Bachmann Blog, and links to her Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace pages, the Congresswoman said, “I’m a foreign correspondent on enemy lines and I try to let everyone back here in Minnesota know exactly the nefarious activities that are taking place in Washington.”

Congresswoman Bachmann did not unpack this analogy during the interview to spell out whether she considers herself a foreign correspondent simply because the Democratic Party is in charge of D.C., or whether she believes Democratic policies are changing America into a different country altogether from the one she would like to see.

In any case, it was no accident for Representative Bachmann to conjure up images of war and battlelines in reference to Washington Democrats (instead of referring to them with the customary “loyal opposition” tag). For this was not the first time Bachmann referred to herself as a “foreign correspondent” nor her political opponents in D.C. as “enemies.”

During a January 14, 2009 interview with conservative talk show host Glenn Beck, Representative Bachmann explained how she is one of only a handful of members of Congress who are “keepers of the flame” – fighting to prevent the federal government from taking freedom (and money) from the American people:

“I would say there are probably 30 keepers of the flame over here…The main thing we can do right now is be foreign correspondents reporting to you from enemy lines.”

On the issue of Obama’s proposed cap-and-trade energy tax on Saturday’s radio show, Representative Bachmann expanded on the war metaphor:

“I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back. Thomas Jefferson told us ‘having a revolution every now and then is a good thing,’ and the people – we the people – are going to have to fight back hard if we’re not going to lose our country. And I think this has the potential of changing the dynamic of freedom forever in the United States.”

Congresswoman Bachmann also railed against HR 1586, stating it was the result of the Democrats rushing the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act through the House without its own members even reading the bill.

“I have never seen a bigger CYA bill in my life,” said Bachmann in reference to the new tax on bonuses of TARP corporations.

Follow Smart Politics on Twitter.

1. George Hayduke on March 23, 2009 at 7:04 am

Why doesn’t anyone ever ask Bachmann what jobs she has held other than government jobs? Or why she rails against big government but readily cashes the federal crop subsidy checks for her family farm. Hypocrisy knows no bounds when it comes to Michele Bachmann.

2. TheGipper on March 23, 2009 at 10:20 am

Eric Ostermeier is so desperate to bash Bachmann that he’s predictably pathetic! No surprise here, a liberal that Hates Bachmann!

3. Eric Ostermeier on March 23, 2009 at 10:41 am

> No surprise here, a liberal that Hates Bachmann!

A “liberal?” Who “hates Bachmann?” Wow.

You need to actually read this blog, The Gipper.

For your next reading assignment: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cspg/smartpolitics/2009/02/the_unsinkable_michele_bachman_1.php

The Congresswoman herself advertises this blog on her Twitter page as a “great analysis” of her victory.

4. Being Goode on March 23, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Re:The Gipper

It has been my experience that no political party is spared any scrutiny on this website.

Based on your pseudonym, were you hoping for some of that “ole time religion”?

5. kevin knapp on March 23, 2009 at 2:34 pm

this nutjob has to go.what kind of morons elected this creep?

6. John J. McKay on March 23, 2009 at 2:46 pm

The phrases “Michele Bachmann” and “Smart Politics” should not appear on the same page. It’s painfully disorienting.

7. Jean Bainger on March 23, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I’m grateful from the comments here to know that Minnesota, while having the same kind of nut jobs as exist nationwide, also has sane people. Problem is your so way up there we tend to hear only the kind of vulgar nonsense spewed by Buchanan and her minions.

Hail Minnesota from eastern Pennsylnania.

8. Jean Bainger on March 23, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Hail Minnesota from eastern Pennsylvania.

9. Peter Rudolph Zidek on March 23, 2009 at 4:45 pm

For the same reason you cash your tax refund check instead of gleefully and enthusiastically donating it to the Leviathan. Yes, hypocrisy knows no bounds. Or better yet, let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

10. r on March 23, 2009 at 4:48 pm

thanks for posting this and keeping a light shone directly on this woman’s dangerous crazy. she’s inciting treason and it can’t be allowed to strengthen those who would chose violence over debate.

with kudos from canada.

11. Jeffrey Gross on March 23, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, this is what happens when politicians are incapable of understanding the issues, unwilling to listen to people who can fix the situation, and would prefer to take the whole country down rather than work with or learn something from someone new.

I’m not saying the Obama is great…but he’s heading in the right direction where as Michelle is just leading us to hell.

12. Nita Martin on March 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm

This is a “non-partisan” piece of reporting?

13. Dee Toma on March 23, 2009 at 5:22 pm

She is down right scary, her statement
    “I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back. Thomas Jefferson told us ‘having a revolution every now and then is a good thing,’ and the people — we the people — are going to have to fight back hard if we’re not going to lose our country. And I think this has the potential of changing the dynamic of freedom forever in the United States.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/23/michele-bachmann-i-want-p_n_178156.html

14. k l m on March 23, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Folks go ballistic over Obama’s mentioning the special olympics in reference applause over his low bowling score. And this woman get a pass in the major media???

15. Karen on March 23, 2009 at 7:02 pm

This woman has left the land of the sane years ago and she remains an alien among us. She is kind of stupid, too. Not that either of those maladies is a disqualification for public office, evidently.

16. Donald Drennon on March 23, 2009 at 8:00 pm

You can’t make up stuff this crazy.

Once again, satire is unable to keep pace with conservative reality. All you have to do is just turn a microphone on and let the woman talk.

17. Eva Young on March 23, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Audio of this is available at http://dumpbachmann.blogspot.com

18. Willem van Oranje on March 23, 2009 at 8:48 pm

“”I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back.”

I want this nutjob – and others like her – stripsearched every time she comes close to the President. It would NOT at ALL surprise me if at one point people like her get the insane idea that they need to “save” the nation and do stupid things.

19. Larry Maxcy on March 23, 2009 at 9:12 pm

An earlier poster said:
    “For the same reason you cash your tax refund check instead of gleefully and enthusiastically donating it to the Leviathan. Yes, hypocrisy knows no bounds. Or better yet, let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Posted by: Peter Rudolph Zidek”

No, Mr. Zidek. Your tax refund check is just that–a refund of the excess tax payments you already made. It’s your money. Just as the agricultural subsidy Bachman’s family received is also your money.

20. Keanus on March 23, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I’m new to this blog, but Ostermeier’s post simply reports Bachman’s statements. If her supporters, like “The Gipper” don’t like that, then tell her to shut up. She’s simply hanging herself by her own tongue. Any elected representative who refers to the opposing party as “enemies” seriously lacks in his or her understanding of what makes a representative democracy like the US function.

Her blatherings may be just so much hot air with no further value, good or bad. But Willem van Oranje hit the nail on the head about her being stripsearched. Although she may direct only verbal violence at Obama, her language certainly encourages others to choose violence that is more than verbal.

21. Mugen on March 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm

And to think I honestly thought we had already seen the highest level of crazy possible for this nutjob.

I just do not understand how someone who is so obviously suffering from mental illness can obtain and then manage to retain a government position.

22. Jason Goad on March 23, 2009 at 11:51 pm

I get such a kick out of hearing these “patriots” using Jefferson quotes as inspiration for their misguided revolutions…hey Michelle, why don’t you look up some of Jefferson’s thoughts on religion and government and realize that its people like YOU that he was railing against, Miss Selected by God.

You got the CRAZY EYES.

23. kim on March 24, 2009 at 3:11 am

Carbon encumbering is a regressive and utterly unnecessary tax. If we are cooling long term, as many believe, it will kill lots and lots of the world’s poorest people. That’s dangerous.
    =======================

24. John on March 24, 2009 at 8:43 am

Absolutely BAT-SHIT crazy.
    I think Franken’s first task should be to get this nutjob censured in the house and put on trial for treason

25. tarry Davis on March 24, 2009 at 9:14 am

I am from coastal Virginia. Everyone here I know wonders how Minnesotans could elect and re-elect someone as just plain nutty as this woman….. right or left it does not matter. Her statements are strange and out of tune with the times. We have heard from her for several years now and it is clear that she is a wackadoodle. My goodness, don’t you think you need someone who is better informed and not so publicity hungry. Ms Bachmann certainly does not provide a favorable image of Minnesota!

26. Robert on March 24, 2009 at 9:19 am

This really makes me wonder about the voters in Minnesota. How could they have re-elected this extremist radical? Very scary.

27. CrispyShot on March 24, 2009 at 10:39 am

As a member of her district who vehemently disagrees with her worldview, I can only offer two observations on how she managed to get and hold her seat:

1. She actually fits the district pretty well. IIRC, it voted 55% for Bush in 2004, against the general trend in MN. It’s gerrymandered all to hell, too; I’m guessing this was done to consolidate and limit the Republicans’ influence when it was originally drawn.
    2. She’s a pitbull of a campaigner, and the DFL has put up poor candidates to run against her.

That said, in the last two state legislative elections, the district actually removed 2 GOP reps and one state senator, and elected and re-elected 3 DFLers in their place. I hope we’re seeing a grassroots move back toward the center — maybe that’ll translate into a saner representative, even if they’re from the GOP. I could live with a Ramstad Republican representing me.

I hope they redraw the districts after the 2010 census so that I’m out of her district. It’s embarrassing to have to claim her.

28. Linda on March 24, 2009 at 10:44 am

This idiot is embarrassing the whole state! She needs to take herself and those crazy eyes of hers to the nearest shrink.
    Seriously, Michele, get some help.

29. j.j. on March 24, 2009 at 10:45 am

And to think her and Sarah Palin are friends, but they do sound about the same.

30. VT Skier on March 24, 2009 at 11:04 am

How can the otherwise sane folk of Minnesota tolerate this wingnut?

You gave us Humphrey and Wellstone.

And Bachmann??

31. Andrew Wiggin on March 24, 2009 at 12:29 pm

It’s time to use the Republican Party’s well-established standards of Loyalty to the United States of America against these “I want America to FAIL!!!” Republicans.

If Betty McCollum had said this about Bush, she would have been Anthraxed, bombed, and THEN shot in the head by Jon Hindraper’s fans.

All of talk radio would have been calling for Betty’s assassination (does anyone out there HONESTLY believe that AM1500 (KSTP) wouldn’t have called for the assassination of Betty????).

To take the words from the #2 Republican spokesperson, Michael Savage (who has actually said this about several Democrats, and he speaks for the Republican Party as their second most popular spokesperson, with no known dissent to his position as such by Republicans), “someone needs to take” Michelle Bachmann “to the edge of town and put a bullet in the TRAITOR’S head!!!!!!”

I noticed that a much milder verson of this has already been censored, but maybe the censor doesn’t understand that all they have to do is turn on the radio or FAUX News Channel to hear Republicans not only committing TREASON, but also hear them saying how they would like to see Democrats EXTERMINATED. Such are the people Michelle hangs out with, and I think the unwillingness of the DFL to make light of such is the prime reason Michelle is still in office.

32. DMF on March 24, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Bachman’s “armed and dangerous” comment is inexcusable in our democracy given our sad history of assassination. When we allow such imflamatory phrases from elected leaders to settle into disturbed minds without challenge, we all have blood on our hands. Every Republican Congressional colleague and every Minnesotan in her district should demand apology and retraction–and maybe therapy for her anger issues.
    Your South Dakota neighbor

33. Curious on March 24, 2009 at 3:43 pm

The Treasonous Biatch says: “I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back. Thomas Jefferson told us ‘having a revolution every now and then is a good thing,’ and the people — we the people — are going to have to fight back hard if we’re not going to lose our country. And I think this has the potential of changing the dynamic of freedom forever in the United States.”

Hmmm…

It IS time to start using the Smith Act against these Republicans. I’m getting tired of hearing them threatening revolutions and civil wars, and they have done it constantly since January in ALL media (Internet, TV, Radio, Print), both public (C-Span) and private.

18 USC Sec. 2385 http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00002385—-000-.html

Is Michelle ADVOCATING OVERTHROW????

34. Mari on March 24, 2009 at 7:13 pm

This sad, sa, silly woman is obviously playing with a half a deck of brains. I am a nurse who worked for years in a hospital specialized in treating chronic chest diseases such as Chronic Respiratory Diseases, Chronic obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Asthma. We could track the wind drift of pollutants in the area by the addresses of patients coming to the hospital with chronic to acute respiratory problems. That pollutants cause health problems is a scientific fact. Apparently this woman has no concern for others so she chooses to ignore facts that do not fit in nicely with her silly, conservative ideas about the state of pollution in our world. Poor, poor selfish, hate filled, deluded woman who is so self-centered.

35. Lynn on March 24, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Amazing how much hate speech you liberals thrust outward. Ms Bachman has as much of a right to her opinion as you do to yours, AND she was elected to her office and serves in Washington, which is more than I suspect any of you can say. As for Mari’s post, I think she should wonder if her last sentence is more an indictment of herself than Ms Bachman. Hope I am never in need of her nursing services…. compassion, hah!! Although I am far away from your frigidly cold (in more ways than one judging from the opinions expressed here) state, I applaud Ms Bachman’s statement. If anyone needs to be “armed and dangerous” it is probably those whose opinions differ from those expressed on this flaming liberal board. You all would come for her head and those of her supporters if you could….why? What gives with the hate speech? Are you all paid liberal hate bloggers or what?

36. Carl DiMujzio on March 25, 2009 at 9:52 am

Suprise to me you people don’t understand a rhetorical statement when you hear one.

After all of the rhetoric you’ve fawned over during the campaign of Obama. He’s managed to triple the national debt in one month of office, yet you say nothing.

The fact is, your two party system has wrecked the land of the free. You know nothing of freedom as you lick the boots of those who would give you crumbs.

None of what your government is doing is grounded by the chains of the constitution, for it is simply ignored. The sooner you recognize this, the sooner we can get scrap the 2 parties who have unlimited power over you, who don’t listen to you, and legislate against you.

The government is defined by 19 specific powers in the constitution. That was a limit to the scope of it’s authority. Not to restrain the people. Your government are the traitors, not those who oppose it.

37. Everything Changed After 9/11 on March 25, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Hey Republitards!

Don’t you get it?

Your statements on “free speech” etc, are INVALID after what you guys pulled for eight years.

If you can’t live up to YOUR OWN standards of LOYALTY, then maybe ALL Republicans need to have bullets in their TREASONOUS heads from a firing squad!

38. Lynn on March 26, 2009 at 10:20 am

Wow, the last poster sure made my case for hate speech being such a problem for liberals these days! Funny how they think everyone who doesn’t see things their way is #1 a Republican , which we often definitely are not, and #2 doesn’t deserve to live….Is this the way you folks want the future to look, with thugs like this in charge? WAKE UP AMERICA! It isn’t about politics any longer, but about the future of our and our children’s freedom and the future of our country…

39. gnusman53 on March 26, 2009 at 11:40 am

Sadly, when people proclaim the need for armed revolt..and brag about how many weapons they own……and slander or demean others…they have shown already how un-American and Stalinistic they really are.

Republican politicians do not give a rats ass about Americans… the real ones who work for a living and barely scratch out a living.

They just want power and riches — for themselves…..and their friends….and screw the people who worked and bled for this country….

You know… Bachman’s position.

40. Tapan B on March 26, 2009 at 2:02 pm

How dare Michelle Bachman speak for the State of Minnesota, the only people she can speak for are the people who voted for her in her district!

If these folks feel so passionate about this, they should start marching behind their leader on the streets, here!!

41. Minnesota Central on March 26, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Bachmann isn’t the only one that is talking revolution.

Last week, the Tulsa Beacon reported that Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) said “I like the idea of tea parties and a real revolution.
    During the same interview, Coburn was asked about The Freedom of Choice Act and how people should react if it was enacted. Dr. Coburn’s answer? “Civil disobedience.”
    Coburn went on to say “The battle in Washington, D.C. is real. Every day in the Senate without Al Franken is a great day.
    My reaction is at my blog where I note that Jefferson’s quote is inaccurate and taken out of context.

42. Vinicius on March 27, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Seriously, this is lady who is either dying for attention and/or she doesn’t have it on too tight. Most likely both! It just shows how bankrupt the GOP are in terms of ideas. Sad. Right now is the hour of the GOP yahoos!!! I am not saying the GOP are but certain egos are off the chart. If this keeps up, Joe the Plumber, who is really not a plumber, may be the GOP candidate for president! God help the GOP!

43. Shelly Thomas on March 28, 2009 at 9:27 pm

What is the matter with this woman? Her claims and hysterics are becoming more and more intolerable.

There is only so much the people of Minnesota should be expected to put up with. Her degree of dishonestly, her conspiracy theories and her unprofessionalism leave us here in the 6th district with no real Congressional representation. WE ARE experiencing lawmaking with no representation — and in the Senate, we only have one senator too. So this doubly stinks for us in the 6th district. I HAVE HAD IT WITH HER.

Her claims are dishonest and way over the top. I suggest we start impeachment ASAP.

44. S. Coffman on March 29, 2009 at 1:40 pm

If the Democratic leadership of this country allow this whack job of a woman to get away with her unamerican and incendiary illusions then they will lose a lot of respect and confidence from the people of this country. If the Republicans allow this woman to go uncensored then they they will never get back any of the respect they have already lost. They have indeed become the party of “snarky” politicians and hate mongering speech. Bachman over stepped the bounds of what we expect from out leaders and she has not only defamed and insulted, and lied, with her preposterous insuations, about the Government of this country, she spit all over the millions of people in this country who cast their votes. She is a disgrace, and as such is unworthy to serve as a member of Congress. If the people of Minnesota and the Govenor of Minnesota are standing behind this women then Minnesota needs to recind it’s Statehood.

45. Carl on March 30, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Some in this forum aren’t thinking of this in a constitutional light.

What made America great? Was it the industry of free people? …or the power of it’s government?

Your answer dictates the direction you’d like to see this nation move in.

By the way, although you’re being taught censorship, it is not an American tradition. Perhaps the Orwellian Utopia is what you desire.

46. dofus kamas on April 2, 2009 at 2:53 am

First thank you for your articel,second I agree with the first person.

47. eskimo on April 2, 2009 at 11:42 am

thats crap!

48. Paul Watson on April 2, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Congress Woman Michele Bachmann is the best of the best. We see a true patriot for sure. She is for America and Minnesota. Which she should be.

I do hope we have a house and senate full of Micheles in the near future.

Mr. Hayduke must be an ill man for he cannot remember the work this Lady did before she went into the dirtiest game of all Politics. She is such a lady why would she work for us? Only reason I see she is a true American.
    Also this above man must lack education for he said she was a hypocrite.

What a good representive you have Minnesota. Always loved that State.
    Too cold for me or I would live there.

49. Beverly Stanford on April 6, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Michelle B. and those like her are scaring me to death. I really believe they are serious, I think they would like to take their assault rifles and kill me because I don’t believe like them. I think they would like to see constant war with anyone, I think they have something against peace, I don’t think they have ever read the Gospel, I think they don’t want their pregnant teens to have a choice, I think they think somehow Dems want to take their guns (all guns). They have one message: No one has a choice, no one can take my guns and I don’t want to pay taxes for good roads, schools and other infrastructure. What did they put in their kool-aid?

50. Mark Miller on April 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm

How can the people of Minnesota vote for a radical left wing liberal like Al Franken for their Senator. I am very disappointed with the people of Minnesota.

If this country goes Socialist God help us all.

A concerned Pennsylvanian

51. Carl Warren on April 11, 2009 at 1:42 am

‘ and the people – we the people – are going to have to fight back hard if we’re not going to lose our country’
    These are words not just of Michele Bachmann, but of a 22 year old accused of killing 3 policeman in Pittsburgh last Saturday. Like Anne Coulter, Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, Ms. Bachmann should realize that their appeal to the darker side of human nature could lead to tragic results. Of course, these people get rich doing this, so why should they quit.

52. gadgets on May 26, 2009 at 4:30 pm

53. Abbas on May 31, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Seriously, this is lady who is either dying for attention and/or she doesn’t have it on too tight. Most likely both! It just shows how bankrupt the GOP are in terms of ideas. Sad. Right now is the hour of the GOP yahoos!!! I am not saying the GOP

54. Free MMORPG on July 17, 2009 at 2:12 am

55. kelloyd on September 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Very few people stands their hand against corruption. One has to take such steps, its good. I’ve always been a fan of her.

56. ReginaRuby on October 9, 2009 at 6:41 am

I’m so glad the repugs have Bachman to keep reminding people why we must keep them out of the White House.

57. shpallje on October 14, 2009 at 10:52 am

it still amazes me how she got re-elected.

58. First on October 20, 2009 at 1:18 pm

59. Trey on October 21, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Rep. Bachmann is brilliant and cares about this country! I support her 100%!

60. Lynne Sether on October 31, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Michelle Bachmann, you are one of the hardest working government officials working for the people of Minnesota. Not only hard working but right on the money when it comes to being a true patriot. As you have stated often, we do not need nor want Big Government running our country. Nor do we want Big Pharma running it either. The health care plan that Congress has put forward in its 1990 pages is an abomination, a slap in the face to Americans today and to our Forefathers, who fought, died, labored intensively to provide the freedoms we Americans enjoy today. Please do not let that have all been done in vain a mere 200 years later.

In the last election, when the people in the USA voted for change, little did they realize they were voting for a movement toward socialism, for a president with extremist ideals, and government takeover to strip the people of their rights and freedoms. If this type of government continues, we will be looking at a 2 people system in America. The ultra rich and the serfs who would be entirely dependent upon the government to provide everything, as little as that would be. Gone would be the freedoms our Forefathers fought so diligently for.
    Michelle, I applaud you greatly for standing up for your beliefs that come from your heart, your conscience, and your superb intelligence. You have chosen or perhaps have been chosen to represent a very difficult position in today’s world of government policy.
    I pray that God continues to give you the strength, purpose, and determination that you have so brilliantly and courageously stood up for, not only Minnesotans but all peoples of America. These citizens are not only conservatives, but patriots, and people who love this country and believe in its morals and values as a free America.
    Do we need some changes made – YES, but do we need radical change – NO!

Thank You, Michelle,

Lynne Sether
    Bloomington, MN

61. Diet on November 1, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Thank you Lynne for your comment. I totally agree with you.

62. Josie on November 4, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I was just watching Michelle and I cannot tell you how I appreciated hearing a sane voice in DC….the new administration believes they can steamroller this country! If they hate the freedom and liberties we have fought for, there are plenty of other countries that would “maybe” welcome them with open arms! Why do they insist on wanting to change what our founding fathers built? I truly do not understand why they do not comprehend “freedom” and “individual liberties” and how those who have helped to build the freedoms we all enjoy today – treasure these gifts. I can only believe the love of country was never instilled in some…so unfortunately they will never understand…

This country has never been more divided…

MICHELLE, stay strong in voice and spirit!

63. Au Pair Agency on November 5, 2009 at 3:34 pm

I just want to say thank goodness for the USA. I love that everyone can get on here and share their comments.

64. Hampaiden valkaisu on November 6, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Every Republican Congressional colleague and every Minnesotan in her district should demand apology and retraction–and maybe therapy for her anger issues.
    Your South Dakota neighbor.

65. Pariuri on November 24, 2009 at 5:09 am

“What I hear from people back in my district is, “Thank you, Michele. Thank you so much for fighting for us. Keep it up. Don’t give up. We want you to keep fighting.”

Of course if anyone has anything else to say my lovely Michele covers her ears and chants “LA LA LA LA” so she can’t hear them.

66. Amanda on November 26, 2009 at 3:12 am

Don’t worry Michele, you do have some fans. It is hard to tell by reading the comments here though!

67. Free Electric on November 26, 2009 at 9:40 am

Michele Bachmann the work you do is of the utmost importance not only to your country but by extension the world. We thank you here from the Caribbean and wish you much success in all your future endevaours

68. Tracy Broom on November 26, 2009 at 10:09 am

Thanks Michelle for not only you commitment as an independent objective journalist but for also your role as a representative for all women Thank you

69. watch movies online on January 7, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Michele Bachmann is one of the few people who speaks her mind about what she thinks and stand for instead of what the party slant is supposed to be. Wish we had more politicians like her!

70. Stanley on January 12, 2010 at 11:15 am

It’s great that some people stand up and fight against the corrupted government. Thank you Michele!

71. Gezonde Voeding on January 18, 2010 at 1:36 pm

@Stanley

well, as you said and i this is what everyone knows about. There are no people like corrupt Government including my self. I hate that, and it really hurt if someday Government we trusted are betraying us who trust them so much. If there are a community who hate i mean really hate and trying to stop Corrupted people? Counting me in.

72. maue on January 19, 2010 at 7:39 am

You gave us Humphrey and Wellstone.

And Bachmann??

73. Wisconsin Fireworks on January 23, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Bachmann has consistently proposed a constitutional amendments that would ban same-sex marriage in Minnesota. Good thing State Senate rejected Bachmann’s proposed amendment every time. I would love to see her have someone in her family be gay!

74. Cristine on January 27, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Its shocking to see the amount of support people provide these donuts. You can only hope for a positive outcome.

75. Dr. John Weitzner on January 28, 2010 at 2:55 am

My goodness, don’t you think you need someone who is better informed and not so publicity hungry. Ms Bachmann certainly does not provide a favorable image of Minnesota!

76. Glasgow Bathroom on January 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Congresswoman Michele Bachman is a brave lady. I agree with her, there’s too much corruption in the BIG House.

77. KaChucka on February 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

I’m guessing but I’d make a blind bet that Ms Bachmann is either from a very wealthy or religious district. Democracy allows for these people to have a vote and therefore their say. It’s a good thing that Al Franken won state-wide election, albeit by a hair. That indicates that Minn. is not represented by anything like Frau Bachmann.

• jack straw on December 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm

you ignorant a-s!

78. Patrick Chester on March 1, 2010 at 5:27 am

I am getting disgusted with what has become a growing double standard in the so called “liberal media.” It has become commonplace for conservative politicians and talking heads to call for succession, for violence, and to describe their enemies as traitors or worse. Even in the deepest and darkest hours of the Bush years, you would be hard pressed to find this sort of vile in even the most liberal blogs. What this amounts to is that journalists have become accustomed to conservative commentators and politicians making flat out outrageous and treasonous comments which a liberal would be cooked alive for suggesting. Politicians, especially, need to be held accountable by the media and the voters.

79. betty g. withers on March 1, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I hope that these people who are advocating treason are on FBI watch lists for everyone’s safety. Thier associates should be tracked and watched because some people respond with violence when they are incited.

80. Best Teeth Whitener on March 5, 2010 at 12:32 am

Bachmann is a dividing figure, without a doubt. I think she has some good ideas but I also do not agree with her all the time, she’s a little too over-the top about the revolution stuff, as if because you disagree with the president you need to advocating some kind of “revolt.” I just find that kind of rhetoric absolute nonsense, really. But, on a side note, Glenn Beck was an idiot for belittling her for saying things he’s said. what a moron Beck can be.

81. Viewstreams on March 9, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Bachmann is probably the black sheep of the politician and I like iher for this hope she’ll continue telling us her mind !!!

82. NLP on March 18, 2010 at 12:46 am

Michele Bachman is either clueless, a hypocrite, or a particularly cynical politician. She rails against government run health care and brags about taking 23 foster children into her home – all of whom had government-sponsored health care. She is sure government handouts/bailouts are bad – except for the farm subsidies she and her family have raked in over the years. And she repeatedly raises the specter of “death panels” and vows that “Grandma isn’t shovel-ready” — even though she and her husband run a “small business mental health care practice” which means she should know the difference between her fictional death panel and a discussion with your physician of choice about advanced directives. She just loves all the attention and being a media star. Too bad she is an embarrassment to those of us who live in Minnesota and can read her website.

83. Peter on March 18, 2010 at 9:21 am

I have to agree with Viewstreams.

Bachmann for president.

84. Julie on March 26, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Her statements are really scary! Who knows if anyone would actually take her advice literally? As a public official, she should be careful of what she says or at least “how” she says it! Some people of mediocre intelligence can take it the wrong way and actually pick up guns!

85. Brian on March 27, 2010 at 8:18 am

I don’ think you can trust any of them. Only time will tell when Democrats are up for re-election this November.

86. Master Cleanse Journal on April 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I think the country is headed in the wrong direction. Our freedoms are being taken away everyday. Plus look out depression, our economy is going be in trouble because of the trillions we are in debt.

87. iseetest on April 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Does this Congresswoman knows what shes talking about, what is this about being a correspondent in the enemy lines, c’mon now. Nobody wants to fight , Democrats is just doing the clean up and improvement of the country from the previous administration , who happens to be her allies..

88. pariuri sportive on April 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm

The Republicans used to use really scary looking folks for this New World Order/Black Helicopters/UN Army/Bilderburg Illuminatti crazy….

Now, the package is an attractive woman, be it Palin or Bachman, and it slides down the palate of the base and the Media is kind of hypnotized by the pretty…

After all, that is how THEY do it. Pretty Newscasters bleeting about the Apocalypse!

She is really scary, but even more amazing, they send this fruit bar back to congress again and again…What a frightening area she must represent.

Joseph, Senior Developer at Bet365

89. healthy citizens on April 26, 2010 at 1:19 am

you know what? I think the best option for this country would be Ron Paul

90. Campionatul Mondial de Fotbal 2010 on May 18, 2010 at 8:03 am

Michelle Bachmann and Glenn Beck are lunatics but I wouldn’t dismiss them as a farce. They’re dangerous. I view all these Rapture groups, Galt militia groups and other fringe radical right groups in the same light as I do Jihadists. They believe in those 72 virgins. Bachmann and Beck have a warped view of the America but it is a deeply held one. And there’s nothing we can say to these people that will ever get them to change their mind.

My greatest fear is a systemic crash. For starters, it is not an experience I actually want to live through. Growing up in Colombia as a boy, I had a Chilean friend – Jewish whose family fled the 1973 coup – and then at Stanford, there was also a modest Chilean contingent some of whom were and remain close friends. Some were afraid to express a political opinion even from the comfort of Palo Alto, one, however, was very brash and his experiences remain with me to this day. Chile had not one but two systemic crashes in the space of about 15 years each lasting several years or more. The radicalization of politics is a given in systemic crashes. If our current economic woes allow Glenn Beck an audience of 2.2 million people a day, imagine what a systemic crash might do.

91. Lisa Reed on May 24, 2010 at 6:39 am

This person is asking for rebellion when the economy is in dire straits. I don’t call that patriotism.However, I do agree that the bill was rushed.

92. Weight Loss Guy on May 26, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Bring back some common sense in politics.

93. Antoony on June 19, 2010 at 9:35 am

Michelle must be careful in speaking in public. I’m afraid there are people who have mediocre intelligence will be taking his advice are raw. Then they will take guns. Really horrible.

94. Chris on June 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Wow. I’m getting whiplash from the comments, alone.
    As for Bachman, she strikes me as limited by her own rhetoric. She’s in love with her “foreign correspondent” and “enemy lines” metaphor (and with good reason, as it seems to strike a chord with enough of her electorate to get her re-elected, right?) and it is making her a bit ridiculous among sophisticated thinkers.
    Is she the scariest loon on the political scene? Not by a long shot. But she may develop those “crazy eyes” of hers further, and thus bears careful observation. Like a dog that bites someone and you have to watch it for rabies, I guess.

95. April Tourneau on July 2, 2010 at 1:29 am

like Liz Cheney, became a conservative rock star. She rallied the troops at Tea Party gatherings, including the massive march in D.C. in September, proposed her own health care reform bill, and cosponsored others. Gail Collins labeled her “Washington’s newest Famous Strange Person,” proving once again that liberals have no measure from the force from the reinvigorated conservative movement that’s about to hit them.

96. Mark Hob on July 4, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Michele Bachmann, America’s Favorite Tea Party Hostess – This was the year that Bachmann, like Liz Cheney, became a conservative rock star. She rallied the troops at Tea Party gatherings, including the massive march in D.C. in September, proposed her own health care reform bill, and cosponsored others. Gail Collins labeled her “Washington’s newest Famous Strange Person,” proving once again that liberals have no measure from the force of the reinvigorated conservative movement that is about to hit them.

97. Kay in Las Vegas on July 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Coming from a State that has Harry Reid as it’s representative I would be extremely happy to trade for Michele Bachmann. What most people are not seeing with Obama’s Policies is the effect that will kick in down the road with these Mega Bills that are being passed into law. The real damage has not even begun. Seriously these laws are not even complete… the majority of which can be written over time to do anything the Democratic Party wants them to do. Health Care is the prime example. Just yesterday another story about how Insurance Companies are rapidly adjusting their Business models to exclude individual policies for children. If you consider that at 2,300 page bill/law would take more than 38 hours just to read at a rate of a page per minute… then you couple this with the intelligence of those in office you can clearly see a recipe for disaster.

98. america on July 26, 2010 at 2:32 am

She rails against government run health care and brags about taking 23 foster children into her home – all of whom had government-sponsored health care. She is sure government handouts/bailouts are bad – except for the farm subsidies she and her family have raked in over the years. And she repeatedly raises the specter of “death panels” and vows that “Grandma isn’t shovel-ready” — even though she and her husband run a “small business mental health care practice” which means she should know the difference between her fictional death panel and a discussion with your physician of choice about advanced directives.

99. Pat #1 Glen Beck Fan Jackson on August 29, 2010 at 11:49 am

I wonder if Michele is one of the “good guys”. We need more people keeping the feds small and in check – if she’s doing that for real – then more power to her. If Glen is on her side that goes a long way with me.

100. Pat #1 Glen Beck Fan Jackson on August 29, 2010 at 11:49 am

101. George Melchers on November 29, 2010 at 12:59 am

And a couple other pockets like the Iron Range. So the “Twin Cities” may be literally liberal but many suburbanites are at least as Republican as the farm communities that make up the rural half of the population. Bachmann covers the far northern exurbs — from the long-standing prison industry in the east to the state college in the west that makes the news every few years for the swastikas that get spray painted around campus. It’s “old” Minnesota where the pioneer Maine lumberjacks settled (my mother’s side). We were up there this weekend as a matter of fact. The American flag on every overpass on the stretch of state freeway was unique.

That was the mistake of the Franken fanatics — and, in my opinion, why we still haven’t completed our set of Senators — thinking that Minnesota is still particularly liberal these days. If the economy had rolled belly up in November instead of September, we’d still have Coleman.

102. milichko on February 5, 2011 at 12:09 am

In early July 2007, Bachmann joined a Congressional delegation visiting Ireland, Germany, Pakistan, Kuwait, and Iraq. Because of security concerns Bachmann never met any Iraqis, left the Green Zone, or stayed in-country overnight.

103. Ellen Howard on February 6, 2011 at 9:50 am

It’s amazing that so many people (I’d say a strong majority) are buying into the right’s ridiculous accusations. The main problem is education . . . the vast majority of people don’t understand what’s going on, the actual laws or policies.

And it’s no wonder since not even our elected representatives can bother to read any of the bills. Maybe we should start requiring a law degree for these yahoos to be in office.

104. Angela on April 8, 2011 at 9:47 am

What I don’t understand is why the left is happy with:
    1. high taxes
    2. massive government
    3. leaders who think government is the answer to problems instead of free individuals
    4. socialism
    I also don’t understand why the left hate:
    1. Christianity
    2. small government
    3. personal responsibility
    4. private business…esp. small businesses
    5. conservative women
    6. conservative blacks
    7. conservative hispanics
    8. The USA
    Michelle Bachman may not be perfect, but she’s a good woman who is trying to keep the USA a great nation, not some mediocre socialist regime that the ‘sophisticated thinkers’ are so fond of.

105. sebs on September 22, 2011 at 8:32 am

106. İngilizce Dersleri on December 14, 2011 at 1:17 am

I saw you talking on the phone.

107. cioara on December 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Michelle Bachmann, you are one of the hardest working government officials working for the people of Minnesota. Not only hard working but right on the money when it comes to being a true patriot. As you have stated often, we do not need nor want Big Government running our country. Nor do we want Big Pharma running it either. The health care plan that Congress has put forward in its 1990 pages is an abomination bet365, a slap in the face to Americans today and to our Forefathers, who fought, died, labored intensively to provide the freedoms we Americans enjoy today. Please do not let that have all been done in vain a mere 200 years later.

108. a good plumber brooklyn on January 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing!

109. alex on March 29, 2012 at 9:02 am

They have indeed become the party of “snarky” politicians and hate mongering speech. Bachman over stepped the bounds of what we expect from out leaders and she has not only defamed and insulted, and lied, ( onlinepariurisportive.ro) with her preposterous insuations, about the Government of this country, she spit all over the millions of people in this country who cast their votes. She is a disgrace, and as such is unworthy to serve as a member of Congress. If the people of Minnesota and the Govenor of Minnesota are standing behind this women then Minnesota needs to recind it’s Statehood.

110. Marquez vs Bradley on October 11, 2013 at 1:32 pm

111. jack straw on December 31, 2013 at 9:29 pm

kachuka’s comment is proof that ignorance still runs rampant!

112. sahana on December 21, 2016 at 1:09 am

she believes Democratic policies are changing America into a different country i agree with her.

113. green house on August 28, 2019 at 7:34 pm

Ok, makes me glad I currently eat grass beef. I do know
    some sustainable farmers near Northfield who are using chickens and hazelnuts to restore cash cropped land,
    though I don’t know the greenhouse impacts.