In an interview on the looming federal government shutdown on FOX News Thursday night with Greta Van Susteren, Minnesota Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann announced she had an important message she needed to deliver to the president – from the Chinese.

Greta Van Susteren: “You told me to ask you about whether you have a message about the budget tonight.”

Rep. Bachmann: “I had Chinese tonight. This was my fortune cookie – you’re going to love this:

‘You shouldn’t overspend at the moment. Frugality is important.'”

Van Susteren: “Too bad you didn’t have about 600 of those so we could have the House, the Senate, and -“

Rep. Bachmann: “This is going to the White House now. I’ll reprint it and I’ll send it to Harry Reid too.”

Van Susteren: “All right, good. I”m sure they’ll be delighted to hear from you because they seem to like to hear from you a lot anyway.”

Rep. Bachmann: “I think they do.”

The Congresswoman said she would bet Van Susteren an ice cream cone that both sides would come together over night and a budget deal would be reached to avoid a government shutdown.

Follow Smart Politics on Twitter.

1. Jkruse on April 8, 2011 at 5:23 am

So now you’ve reported on one republican saying something idiotic, but no democrats. Bias?

2. Eric Ostermeier on April 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm

> So now you’ve reported on one republican saying something
    > idiotic, but no democrats. Bias?

Sample size. Sample size.

3. george G on November 9, 2012 at 11:39 am

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann is the most extremist Tea Party GOP member. She should have not instead of winning just over 4k votes over her nearest competitor.